I’m in the healthcare personally for more than six years. I was raised by a mother who was a nurse for something close to 40 years, and one things bothers me to this day… actually almost every day: why a lot of people working in healthcare have a tendency to dismiss other professions and make themselves look better?
Let me explain, starting from the bottom:
- CPR instructors: when I was doing a CPR training the instructors were describing how neither EMTs nor nurses can provide a good CPR and how much they’re better at this.
- Phlebotomists: I had an occasion to audit parts of the course as well as encounter phlebotomists both in the field and also drawing me. Due to limited SoP the main point of contention is how nursers are unable to draw, don’t know the order of draw, use too big of a needle etc.
- EMT-Bs: I went throughout the program and I currently teach it. I see a tendency of saying how paramedics or (especially) nurses are incompetent and how EMT-B will do a much better job at e.g. CPR or assessment.
- EMT-Ps/Paramedics: Here I could write an essay but in short it’s a daily occurrence to complain at the nursing personnel. I constantly hear how capno, FAST, or intubation are some sort of black magic which paramedics excel at. Additionally there’s a constant finger-pointing about nurses being tethered to a physician with everything while paramedics are free to do almost anything (?!).
- Nurses: Here the complains are both downward facing (EMS) and upward facing to PAs and MDs/DOs. I constantly hear how the process of diagnosing patients is so much better while performed by a nurses, since they are able to spend more time with the pt. Additionally the drug dosing and tests results interpretation seems to be the biggest advantage of NPs over PAs/MDs/DOs.
- PAs: I don’t have a big exposure to that group, but a number of times (sometimes publicly and/or on social media) I’ve encounter Physician Assistants presenting doctors as money-grabbing machines with just „slightly more wasted years“ (an actual quote).
I deliberately left MDs/DOs out of the list, since the issue there seems to be way more complicated (e.g. fights between specialties, trying to prove that one residency is better than the other etc).
Why, just why we s**t into our own bed?!
I just wonder what’s your opinion on that? I personally think this is really inappropriate and simply selfish – we are a team, when even one of the preciously crafted gear of the medical machine is missing the work becomes harder and patients suffer as the result. Not to mention such behaviors simply look bad in the eyes of patients.
While I can agree on some points looking at some HCPs most of the time it’s a typical BS IMHO.
Source: Original link