These are direct quotes that come from the following cnn.com article
- Sanders promises Americans access to the doctors they currently see and more. But his system assumes that doctors will take part. Just as many doctors do not take part in the current Medicare and insurance systems, some would likely sidestep the government program and seek payment on a fee-for-service basis outside Medicare for All.
- While providers would have protections under the plan, they would also have responsibilities. And it is an either-or scenario. Either they enroll as a Medicare for All provider or they go outside the system.
- The bill does specifically envision private agreements — not insurance — between individuals and providers or groups of providers outside of Medicare for All. But providers, once they enter into such agreements, cannot participate in the government program for a year.
- One fact of US health care is that American doctors make more money than their counterparts in other countries. There are many reasons for that, but one clear way to contain the cost of health care is to contain the amount doctors are paid. Granted, they should have a much simpler time being reimbursed under a single-payer system and more of their time will be spent treating patients. But their bottom lines might also shrink. That’s one reason some doctors could opt out. Hospitals too. In the current system, private insurance pays higher rates to hospitals and doctors than Medicare and Medicaid do.
- The federal government would take a much bigger role in assessing the landscape of educating doctors and determining how many specialists are needed in a given field. The US currently has a system that prioritizes specialization over general medicine. And that’s not saving anyone money.
- There are many pages of this bill that deal with sunsetting the bramble of ways the US government currently helps Americans with health care — Medicare, Obamacare, Tricare, federal employee benefits and more — and unifying them in this new plan.
Source: Original link