So having completed 1 year as an outpatient pcp I've been wondering how other clinics operate. Our MAs are required to:
- run through current chief complaint, social, surgical, family, medical history, medications for all patients for all visits–most of this is just a waste of time since I do it anyways for new/annuals. It's an institutional policy, apparently.
- strep swabs but not influenza
- discharge the patient and answer questions
- dress wounds although rare, breathing treatments.
- normal labs only, which most of the time I've already sent a mychart message.
We have a centralized nurse triage (don't even get me started with this nonsense) that does patient calls (unless routed to office), discusses abnormal labs unless i choose to call the patient, and medication refills which are often just copy/paste requests from the pharmacy.
Am I missing something or expecting too much? What CAN the medical assistant do within their license?
Source: Original link